Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Dream Come True – Leadership Story


              Back to the year 2007, it was very challenging and hard situation to me when the person who is very important in my life passed away. It was my final examination at Universiti Teknologi Mara for a degree in Town and Regional Planning, my loving parents was a victim of road accident. Many things came and across in my mind to what will happen to me and my family at the time we still need their love. But as a muslim we must to be positive and accept that the fact is life is from Allah to Him we will return.
            My new life as an orphan began. I remember the last question I asked my father his opinion if I want to be a Government officer in the future working at Putrajaya after I completed my degree. From town planning student’s perspective, Putrajaya is a place that was planned very well, with great vision and left people in awe. My father said, “As you wish my son, you will be one of the great officers in the future”. With that spirit, I made my move with a positive attitude and focus to what I want to be after this, with a target to be a town planning officer. But sometimes, what we want to be is not always the best for us instead there are things installed in the future which may be better for us. It is all depending on our destiny that has already been written by Allah for all his creation in this life.
            Fast forward to April 2009, I was very happy when I receive the offer letter to be an Administration and Diplomatic Officer (PTD). I woke up the next day and I found myself looking at the world and my life in a totally different way. I must be able to face the challenges to make sure I am not the one who is the burden to this very elite scheme. Given this opportunity I figured that I should to learn the art of leadership. I asked myself, do I have any leadership in me? The answer is yes! I already have the art of leadership because of what happened to my parents. My parents were very active in the political arena. The leadership that was shown by them in the time when we were growing up influenced me as a son making me a person with a political family background.
            The dream came true when I was first posted to the Ministry of Federal Territory and Urban Well-Being that is located in Putrajaya. Again I felt that Allah accepted my wish and my parents hope. That was a very good feeling and at the same time I was happy to meet up with new friends and to experience new environment. Suddenly, two weeks after that I was transferred to an agency under this ministry which is The Land and Mines Director Office of Kuala Lumpur Territory located in the centre of Kuala Lumpur. I took the challenge to be the part of land management line that a lot of people perceived as a fearful position due to dealing with too much act and land regulation.
            I met with my supervisor in land management department. He is a very kind person and seemed very humble in person. He taught me a lot in terms of land management and also in the leadership. I remember his quote that wherever we go in this service, the important thing is to be humble and respect each other within our surrounding. He is always positive in every circumstance. That is how a good leader has to be and he inspired me to be the one. Day in to day out he taught me a lot and guide me to make sure I deliver my service with a good heart especially when I serve the public.
            Woke up in the early morning, It was 1st October 2011 on Saturday. Looking at the clock it showed 5.30 am. What a surprise, it is the day I will be registering to be the participant of Diploma Pengurusan Awam course (DPA) at Intan Bukit Kiara. With hope and aim to improve myself to be a good PTD officer and also to be the one who lead this country to a better life for the next generation.
            It came to the 6th week in DPA. our group was having the Integration Leadership Module. It is very fun and informative module that brings us to the real personal story of leadership. During this module, I remembered one of the exemplary leaders who is a real Sabahan which is Tun Datu Mustapha bin Datu Harun or Tun Mustapha in short. I would like to share on his excellent touch on our land. He was the first governor of the Malaysian state of Sabah. He was also the third Cheif Minister of the state from 1967 to 1975, and was the president for the political party United Sabah National Organization (USNO). He is considered by some to be one of the founding leaders of Sabah and was an important party in the negotiations leading to the formation of Malaysia on September 16, 1963.
            He is known to some as the "father of Sabah's independence" and also the "father of Sabah's development". Tun Mustapha founded the party United Sabah National Organization, better known by the acronym USNO. He, together with Donald Stephens, is often credited as important figures in Sabah in bringing forth Sabah's independence and in the formation of Malaysia in 1963. When Malaysia was formed on September 16, 1963, he became the first Yang di-Pertua Negeri (governor) of Sabah. In the 1967 state election, USNO won, and Tun Mustapha became the third Chief Minister of Sabah.
            He died on January 2, 1996 at Sabah Medical Center, Teluk Likas, Kota Kinabalu, at the age of 76. He was buried at the Muslim cemetery in Kampung Ulu/Ulu Seberang Putatan which was formerly used as a fortress by the late Paduka Mat Salleh and the State Government has named the cemetery as "Taman Memorial Tun Datu Haji Mustapha".
            Tun Mustapha in his era brought the future for the people of Sabah. With his big heart to serve the people, he tried his best to make sure the state of Sabah is accepted as a part of Malaysia. His had a vision for Sabah future. He wanted Sabah to stay in a country that can give positive impact in term of administration and social expansion.
            Tun Mustapha which is also known as the father of Sabah Independence was a very brave person by character. History showed that, Tun Mustapha was the one who was involved directly in dealing the formation of Malaysia. He and his special member or council listed several items on the administration agreement. The listed items entitled the rights of Sabahan which is paramount to the wellbeing on the Sabah people. It showed the credibility of Tun Mustapha as a leader which earns him a spot in the Sabahan’s people hearts. The dream came true when Sabah is now  a part of Malaysia and its people lives in harmony.
            To be a good leader is not a simple exercise. A lot of things have to be looked and considered as well. To always be positive in every circumstance is one of the important elements. With a positive attitude, one can harness one’s feelings and thinking to be rational especially during crucial and hard pressed times. A good leader is a person who can handle himself in a positive manner every time.
            To ensure my development as a leader, I will always focus on myself and my carrier. Being human, I understand that learning is a lifelong process.  The best knowledge is gained from experience whether it comes from personal experience or from others. Lead by example is also a good approach to develop skill in leadership. Stay focus, look forward and always be positive are the element that I have to acquire to ensure my development as a leader.
            A journey as a PTD officer is long. Nobody knows what will happen in the near future. The saying goes ‘business in not as usual’. As a young generation we have to have a very strong inner heart. The fact is we will always face challenges during the course to becoming a good leader. Always be prepared every time and everywhere. This country and its future generation will depend on what this generation’s action today. People will judge us for what we have done and not for what we planned to do. Positive, focus and looking forward are the unique elements to be a good leader. One day, my dream to be a good leader will come true. Through this is not for me, but for the generation to come for Malaysia.

Mohd Idzamuddin Kalipunya
Sidang D

REFERENCES
1. Muhd.Noor Bin Abdullah (1976), Kemasukan Sabah Dan Sarawak Ke Dalam Persekutuan Malaysia, Percetakan Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Kuala Lumpur.

4 comments:

wani ezryl * said...

well said. the leadership comes from within, from the determination which ones have. and you have that determination, my friend. may you become a successful leader one day :)

Anonymous said...

U have ur own way in expressing ur leadership skills... n it suits u... i know u'll become good leafer by being humble just like u r now... nothing can stop u from making ur drrams come true.. keep in faith n believe Allah always with us... with u...

farhana said...

U have ur own way in expressing ur leadership skills... n it suits u... i know u'll become good leader by being humble just like u r now... nothing can stop u from making ur dreams come true.. keep in faith n believe Allah always with us... with u...

Anonymous said...

You know that you have the leadership within you when you can guide the group/someone to the next level of achievement. Personally, after knowing you, you can motivate people to improve themselves and show them to look at life in a bigger frame..you will be a great leader some day, so gain experience or learn from others experiences from now onwards because experience is the best teacher in life and be the best leader...good luck to you...Allah will always be with you..=)