Monday 10 October 2011

my brief years in the civil service

4 years ago, I never thought of considering to join the Civil Service. My first priority to work with media, get into some advertising firm, become a copywriter or anything that is related to public relations.

Fortunately, I did. But only for a few months right after graduating. I went for PAC and interview with the Public Service Commission, but failed the first attempt. I succeeded the second and here I am, right now dealing with national policies, reviewing and implementing new ideas on day to day basis.

I am here because my dad's hopes and dreams. He always put high expectations on me from the very first day I sat my foot on school. I knew, and I've never looked back ever since. There are times I think I was pressured to do my best, just like the same situation here in the office, because they know you're willing to go miles to prove that you're up for the task, so it has been really really hard earned work and glory for me.

On the positive side, it's good to join civil service while you're fresh out of college, you're young, energetic, inspired with many ideas ( don't know how to revamp the old ones in making the world a better place) and eager to learn. You get the opportunity to learn the complex nature the business of the government, listen to public complaints, suggestions, neverending ideas from political masters and stakeholders , learn how to propose, do damage control, decisions all for good intention.

4 years later, I am still with the government. But contrary to classic, or should I say the old notions on typical government servants, that we could leave for teabreak at 10am, ( here we were even caught if we found at downstairs cafe during that hour) or could leave the office at 5pm. Some suggest we extend half an hour or so to finish the job for the day, when in most agencies where my friend worked and the same goes to me, we skipped dinner all the time and back at home when the kids are asleep. Worst still, having to come to office and weekend and work like normal office hours, no extra pay and no cafes were open.

But young people do not need to feel their hearts with frustrations. We can always dream for promotion, another job task at different place. Throughout the years, I was groomed to become better person , and hopefully to become one of exceptionally good leader among the lady officers one day.

Written by :
Hal Mahera Ahmad
Sidang A DPA 1/2005

1 comment:

Mr. Stevie said...

Miss,

You're already good enough. Congratulations! I admire your dedication and determination to follow your dream and to do it the smart way. Way to go and best wishes for success!

Regards,
Mr. Stevie