Tuesday 18 October 2011

My Leadership History and Influence

First of all, I would like to congratulate Puan Hal Mahera because of her brilliant idea on deciding to use blog as the medium for DPA participants to submit their assignment. This is the out of box way of thinking compare to conventional way to submit assignment and it also encourage those who are not familiar with blog to learn little bit on how to operate blogs and posting articles and comments. Beside, those who are already good in blogging can show their talent on posting their articles in this blog.

At first place, i am in dilemma in choosing which leader i need to discuss on. In my mind, i respect most is Tun Mahathir. Tun bring me into civil service and because of Tun I decided to join PTD. Tun has proven that Malaysian can achieved a world class achievement if we really work hard, work smart, think global and has vision in mind.

However, I don’t intend to discuss about Tun Mahathir because I believed all Malaysian and people around the world already recognize his leadership and contribution. I want to talk about my ex-boss in Treasury. Her name is Puan Hazanah bt. A. Bakar previously she is HRD Section Head and Timbalan Setiausaha Bahagian in Bahagian Dasar Saraan, Wang Awam dan Khimat Pengurusan (JUSA C). I started joined Treasury in Mei 2009 and i was placed at HRD Section under Puan Hazanah. My first day in Treasury is like normal first working day for others. My second day in Treasury is lovely when Pn Hazanah want to see all new staffs in Treasury. At that time I still in Treasury pool and waiting for the posting in Treasury. In my mind i hope that i will be posting at Budget Division because previously i was at Jabatan Akauntan Negara as Assistant Acountants since 2003.

Meeting with Puan Hazanah for the first time has sparked me on how good is she in her HR field. She manages to handle meeting very well and exiting. She told to all new staffs that she want all new officers would continue PTD legacy, in order to be the premier post and continue serve the nation with brilliant ideas and contributions. Her opening speech makes me change my mind not asking to be place at Budget Division. Pn Hazanah has explain on how important PTD post in government. She claims that PTD need to ensure all Government plan whether it is big or small, important or not must be fulfil and accomplish in no matter what by PTD. PTD need to bring the impact to the government programs and the impact definitely will give benefit to Malaysian as a whole.



Pn Hazanah in that meeting decided to bring more male officers in HR Section since the Section is lack of male officers. And as what she plans, finally on the next day i received my posting letter to HR Section. I received the decision in open heart and believe that PTD can adapt all kind of task given. As a leader, we need to take risk.

My life in HR Section started with Ministry 5S preparation. Pn Hazanah has appointed me as secretary in Treasury 5S Training Committee. My task is managing, planning and conducting 5S training for Treasury staffs. The trainers are from Malaysian Productivity Council (MPC). The task is a bit challenging since 5S is something new for me and i have my own task in HR Section. Finally, with support from Pn Hazanah, i manage to handle 5S visit by MPC representative and for the second year Treasury is awarded with 5S certificate renewal. This is my accomplishment since i just join this ministry.

In June 2009, Pn Hazanah again appointed me as emcee for Treasury APC Award 2008. I never do any emcee job in my life and at first place i keep asking why she chooses me. She never know me before and definitely she has make mistake since i never had an emcee experience before. Pn Hazanah gives me support and she believes on my ability and always advice me to do new things in life. She said that by keep on doing new things will increase my confident level and knowledgeable. I finally take that challenge and Alhamdulillah I finally managed to deliver nicely and I really appreciate on what Pn Hazanah has told me and from that moment I started believe on my hidden ability. My confident level and leadership has increase since i have tried things that I never did before.

Furthermore, Puan Hazanah has discuss with her immediate bos and decided to appoint me as Treasury Sports and Recreations Club secretary. Again I feel shock and disbelieve on what she has plan for me. As a young officer, I just accept it and started to do my work as Club Secretary.

I started feel that Pn Hazanah is in the process of grooming me as young PTD. All her decision is to give me exposure on new things beside my routine job in HR Section. I personally admire her way of leadership. She has vast experience and always encourage people like me to try new things and not afraid to take challenges. She always tells us during her early service as PTD and what she had done and achieved previously. Her way of leadership make me put full respect towards her and willing to contribute to the maximum effort to government.

In other scenarios, leader especially in Civil Service always trapped with the important decision in their daily activities. I see leader always trapped in dilemma to make decision. In this global era, Civil Service need to be more proactive, bold and take risk in making decision. We need to compete with private sector and at the same time full fill what public need.



I take disciplinary action towards staffs for an example. We as leaders are afraid to take stern action for those who clearly do serious offences like fail to do task given, absent for many days and even months and not performing up to the standards. Leaders with lack of confident and afraid to take action to those who are not performed would jeopardise and affect the government plans to develop this nation.



I always believe in ensuring grow and develop as a leader, we need to put intention to be a good leader as first priority. In order to be agood leader, we need at all time acquire new knowledge and information. As what YBhg TKPPA(O) said, as a leader, we should learn new things at all time. We need new information to enhance our leadership. Beside, leader also needs to have very good attitude and be honest in doing things. Leader also needs to have good analytical and intellectual capacity to do analysis and judgement in doing things. Leader also needs to have the ability to influence and collaboration. This ability will help leader to influencing and inspiring people in achieving task given. In addition, leader must have the ability to motivate people to achieving results.

No comments: